About Tjhoko Paint
Why Tjhoko Paint ?
1. The quality is excellent!
2. It is easy to use – no preparation is required, no sanding and no priming (undercoat) needed. The packaging is beautiful and user friendly. It is easy to open.
3. It’s already a sealed product that leaves no chalky residue.
4. Once painted and sealed with the Glaze, you can repaint again without any preparations required.
5. It grips to the following surfaces: Wood, cement, tiles, glass, aluminium, varnished surfaces, fabric, leather, walls, melamine, metal etc.
6. The colour palete is beautiful and we can even custom make colours of your choice.
7. It saves time and money. Instead of buying something new, you create it yourself.
8. You go a long way with a litre of paint. More or less 8 square meters, depending on the surface being painted.
9. The paint doesn’t turn thick and you never need to dilute it with water to make it usable. Your brush doesn’t need to be wet to make it usable. Just relax, enjoy and paint!
How To Clean Surfaces Before You Start Painting ?
• You can use White Wine Vinegar diluted in a little water. Wet a cloth in the diluted White Wine Vinegar and clean the object. Once thoroughly rubbed and cleaned, use a clean damp cloth and remove any vinegar left behind. Allow to dry and start painting. Works well on varnished surfaces.
• For very oily, polished surfaces use thinners. Take a cloth, wet it with thinners and clean the oily surface you want to paint. Allow thinners to air dry and your object is ready for the paintwork.
Below are guidelines to only a few techniques. The possibilities with Tjhoko are endless:
1. Paint your surface the colour of your choice. (It also works well on non-painted surfaces.)
2. Allow to dry.
3. Apply second colour by using a very dry brush.
4. Use only one side of the brush with little paint on it and work only in one direction.
5. Important: The brush needs to be dry and little paint is required. Movement is only in one direction. After each stroke the movement is repeated.
6. One or more colours can be brushed, depending on the look you want to create.
7. To seal use Clear Glaze or Antique Brown Glaze, depending on your preference. (Glazes are discussed on p.4)
1. Paint your surface the colour of your choice. Allow to dry.
2. Apply second colour by painting long streaks on the painted surface.
3. Use a cloth (old t-shirt works best) or a paint brush and drag the streaks of paint over the already painted surface, from top to bottom.
4. You can also mix equal amounts of paint and Clear Glaze when doing the dragging technique. (50% paint and 50% Glaze). Then you have a sealed surface once your technique is completed.
1. Use the “Vaseline trick” for a distressed look. Apply Vaseline roughly with a brush on the edges on the raw wood before starting to paint. (It can also be applied on a painted surface.) The paint won’t stick on the Vaseline areas. Wait for the paint to dry and use a paint scraper and scrape the paint from the Vaseline coated areas.
2. Repeat the process, applying Vaseline each time on a different area and using different colours of paint. Wait for paint to dry after each coat before using the paint scraper to remove the paint.
3. Use a green merlon pad to smooth everything out or a piece of 600 grid sandpaper.
A second method to create a distressed look is the “old sandpaper” method. Sand, sand and sand!
4. You can even combine the two methods.
5. Apply the Glaze Clear or Glaze Antique Brown if desired.
Enjoy your results!!!
Secrets When Doing Stencil Work
• Use very little paint and work with a dry foam roller.
• Secure your stencil using masking tape or stencil adhesive. (Available at PNA).
Secrets When Applying Stencil Of Paris
• Secure your stencil using masking tape or stencil adhesive. (Available at PNA)
• Use a paint scraper and apply the Stencil of Paris on top of the secured stencil. Determine the desired thickness of the stencil of Paris and work accordingly.
• Once the Stencil of Paris is spread evenly on top of stencil with the paint scraper, the stencil can be removed from the surface while the Stencil of Paris is still wet.
• Immediately wash scraper and stencil in lukewarm water.
• Wait until stencil of Paris is completely dry and sand down for a smooth finish or leave like is for a rustic look.
• You can paint over Stencil of Paris, once completely dry or leave as is.
Secrets When Applying Transfers
• Use transfers only on smooth, flat surfaces.
• Surface needs to be completely dry and clean before applying a transfer.
• You need to apply Glaze Clear or Glaze Antique Brown after the transfer is applied and completely dry. This will create a sealed barrier on top of the transfer
• Our Sealants are: Glaze Clear and Glaze Antique Brown.
• It is a pure acrylic product, which proves to be an excellent sealant.
• It is water-based.
• Clear Glaze: As the name describes, it is clear – colourless.
• Antique Brown: This sealant creates an antique look. It dries very quickly. I recommend that you dilute it with water or water and Cement Grey Tjhoko to increase drying time and allow more time to create the desired look. It can be diluted up to 50%. You can also work with a wet cloth when applying Antique Brown Glaze.
• I prefer using a cloth when applying the Glaze. Just ensure that you cover all the areas.
NB : When Glazing large pieces of furniture, like dining suites, wait for at least 4 hours after painting before applying the Glaze. This gives the paint a chance to dry and grip properly.
How To Clean Equipment After Paintwork Is Completed
• Wash all brushes, rollers, scrapers with water (NO CHEMICALS NEEDED)
• Once finished using your Consol filled with Tjhoko and Glazes, reapply a wax paper or use Glad Wrap to prevent the paint and sealant from sticking to the metal plate. If it happens that you forget to do so, just hold the closed Consol Jar underneath a running tap of warm water and it will open.
Remember you are the creator of your masterpiece.
We’ve enjoyed the journey to manufacture this premium product, now you need to enjoy unleashing that artistic flair inside of you! Remember you are the creator of your masterpiece. Take control and enjoy!