About Tjhoko Paint
Why Tjhoko Paint?
1. The quality is excellent!
2. It is easy to use – no preparation is required, no sanding and no priming (undercoat) needed. The packaging is beautiful and user friendly. It is easy to open.
3. It’s already a sealed product that leaves no chalky residue.
4. Once painted and sealed with the Glaze, you can repaint again without any preparations required.
5. It grips to the following surfaces: Wood, cement, tiles, glass, aluminium, varnished surfaces, fabric, leather, walls, melamine, metal etc.
6. The colour palete is beautiful and we can even custom make colours of your choice.
7. It saves time and money. Instead of buying something new, you create it yourself.
8. You go a long way with a litre of paint. More or less 8 square meters, depending on the surface being painted.
9. Tjhoko Paint is also a chalk board paint.
10. The paint doesn’t turn thick and you never need to dilute it with water to make it usable. Your brush doesn’t need to be wet to make it usable. Just relax, enjoy and paint!
How To Clean Surfaces Before You Start Painting?
• You can use Lacquer Thinners to properly wipe the surface down before starting to paint. DO NOT USE TURPENTINE OR BENZENE. Allow to dry for 15-20 minutes and start painting. Works well on varnished surfaces. Important to remember is not to paint on newly varnished surfaces as varnish needs a curing time of up to 6 months.
• For very oily, polished surfaces also use Lacquer Thinners. Take a cloth, wet it with Lacquer Thinners and clean the oily surface you want to paint. Allow Lacquer Thinners to air dry and your object is ready for the paintwork.
Below are guidelines to only a few techniques. The possibilities with Tjhoko are endless:
1. Paint your surface the colour of your choice. (It also works well on non-painted surfaces.)
2. Allow to dry.
3. Apply second colour by using a very dry brush.
4. Use only one side of the brush with little paint on it and work only in one direction.
5. Important: The brush needs to be dry and little paint is required. Movement is only in one direction. After each stroke the movement is repeated.
6. One or more colours can be brushed, depending on the look you want to create.
7. To seal use Clear Glaze or Antique Brown Glaze, depending on your preference. (Glazes are discussed on p.4)
1. Paint your surface the colour of your choice. Allow to dry.
2. Apply second colour by painting long streaks on the painted surface.
3. Use a cloth (old t-shirt works best) or a paint brush and drag the streaks of paint over the already painted surface, from top to bottom.
1. Use the “Vaseline trick” for a distressed look. Apply Vaseline roughly with a brush on the edges on the raw wood before starting to paint. (It can also be applied on a painted surface.) The paint won’t stick on the Vaseline areas. Wait for the paint to dry and use a paint scraper and scrape the paint from the Vaseline coated areas.
2. Repeat the process, applying Vaseline each time on a different area and using different colours of paint. Wait for paint to dry after each coat before using the paint scraper to remove the paint.
3. Use a green merlon pad to smooth everything out or a piece of 600 grid sandpaper.
A second method to create a distressed look is the “old sandpaper” method. Sand, sand and sand!
4. You can even combine the two methods.
5. Apply the Glaze Clear or Glaze Antique Brown if desired.
Enjoy your results!!!
Secrets When Doing Stencil Work
• Use very little paint and work with a dry foam roller when stenciling on large surfaces like walls.
• When stenciling on smaller surfaces use a stencil brush. Apply little paint onto the stencil brush, ensure that the paint is evenly distributed onto the stencil brush. Remove any excess paint on the sides of the stencil brush. Secure the stencil with masking tape and work with your stencil brush in circular movements on top of the stencil. This will create a very even smooth finish to your stencil work.
Secrets When Applying Stencil Of Paris
• Secure your stencil using masking tape.
• Use a paint scraper and apply the Stencil of Paris on top of the secured stencil. Determine the desired thickness of the stencil of Paris and work accordingly.
• Once the Stencil of Paris is spread evenly on top of stencil with the paint scraper, the stencil can be removed from the surface while the Stencil of Paris is still wet.
• Immediately wash scraper and stencil in lukewarm water.
• Wait until stencil of Paris is completely dry and sand down for a smooth finish or leave like is for a rustic look.
• You can paint over Stencil of Paris, once completely dry or leave as is.
Secrets When Applying Transfers
• Use transfers only on smooth, flat surfaces.
- Paint the desired surface in the Tjhoko colour of your choice, wait 4 hours for the paint to dry. Dilute the CLEAR GLAZE with 30% of water (only mix as much as you will need for this specific project and also mix in a seperate container) Use a damp cloth, dip it in your glaze and water mixture, squeeze to remove any excess moisture and evenly wipe onto the painted surface. Wait 30 minutes.
- Surface needs to be completely dry and clean before applying a transfer.
- Cut your transfer as close as possible to the edge of the design and put in cold water. Leave in the water for 5 – 8 minutes and test whether the clear film slides loose from the backing when you to gently rub it between your fingers.
- You need to apply Glaze Clear or Glaze Antique Brown after the transfer is applied and completely dry. This will create a sealed barrier on top of the transfer.
• Decide where the transfer needs to be placed and gently move the backing away while the clear film is pressed down with the free hand. Gently wipe over the clear film as the backing gets slided away. This will remove the air and water trapped between the clear film and the painted surface. Wait for at least an hour for the transfer to dry.
- Apply some of the Clear Glaze and water mixture once the transfer has dried to secure the transfer and also seal it.
• Our Sealants are: Glaze Clear and Glaze Antique Brown.
• It is a pure acrylic product, which proves to be an excellent sealant.
• It is water-based. You can always paint on top of the glazes again. Even though the glazes might have been applied Tjhoko is still a chalk board surface.
We recommend to use glazes in bathrooms, kitchens and outside to make the surfaces water and UV-resistant.
Glazes should only be applied 4 hours after the paint work has been completed, not less.
• Clear Glaze: As the name describes, it is clear – colourless and will not change the colour of the paint. Dilute the Clear Glaze with 30% water in another container. Only mix as much as you will need for the project you are busy with as water will contaminate the product if left for longer then a week or two.
Use a damp colourless cloth (not too wet) Dip this cloth in the clear glaze and water mixture and squeeze to remove any excess dampness. Work in a well-lit room and evenly wipe onto the painted surface ensuring that all areas are covered. The glaze not only make the surface water & UV-resistant but it also changes the surface from being matt to a subtle satin finish. If you require a more satin finish more coats of glaze can be applied.
When applying Clear Glaze to large flat surfaces like for instance a table top wait at least 48 hours before dressing the surface.
• Antique Brown: This sealant creates an antique look. It dries very quickly. I recommend that you dilute it with water, or water and Sherif Stone or Matt Black Tjhoko to delay drying time and allow more time to create the desired look. It can be diluted up to 30%. You can also work with a wet cloth when applying Antique Brown Glaze.
How To Clean Equipment After Paintwork Is Completed
• Wash all brushes, rollers, scrapers with water (NO CHEMICALS NEEDED)
• Once finished using your Consol filled with Tjhoko and Glazes, reapply a wax paper or use Glad Wrap to prevent the paint and sealant from sticking to the metal plate. If it happens that you forget to do so, just hold the closed Consol Jar underneath a running tap of warm water and tap it and it will open.
Remember you are the creator of your masterpiece.
We’ve enjoyed the journey to manufacture this premium product, now you need to enjoy unleashing that artistic flair inside of you! Remember you are the creator of your masterpiece. Take control and enjoy!